Wednesday, September 5, 2007

First Day of School...Tea Time...& Football injury




We had an absolutely wonderful summer vacation....(I refuse to claim summer as over just yet...only the vacation).

We have shopped, prepared back packs, picked outfits and packed lunches all in anticipation of today...the First Day of School.

I had my apprehensions as this day approached and knew a few of my friends had their concerns as well. Then there were those who were oh so glad to see routines return and quiet return to the home....(My husband was one...having a home office in the summer has it's challenges!)

So along with Holly, I decided to throw a "Time to Weep, Time to Laugh Tea Party". While all of our off spring were settling into their new classrooms, we drank tea (coffee for those who just don't have my appreciation for tea) from china tea cups and saucers and ate goodies while we caught up and visited.

We had lots of fun, and those of us that needed to be distracted for a little while got that chance. I only started to lose my composure when one sweet yet weepy friend gave me a hug...

I had one daughter heading off to uncharted waters called French Immersion in a brand new school....Maria LOVES her teacher, her new school, riding the bus for the first time ever and has already made new friends....WHEW! That was biggy #1!

My next concern...(not necessarily in this order), was daughter number 2...my apprehensions here were surrounding throwing a child who biologically should be in Senior Kindergarten, into full time grade 1...was she emotionally ready for this jump? Was I?

Jianna had concerns about knowing what the new routines would be....I have discovered that this little girl really likes to know what is expected of her, and her struggles come in the unknown. She too, loves her teacher, got reacquainted with old friends, and loves her now known routines! WHEW Again!

Michael...Mr. I am not too concerned about anything...I will make my teacher laugh, and HEY! I have old friends coming to school with me for the first time....What could go wrong?
Hard to get much info. from an 11 year old boy, but he is happy with everything, and taunts his sister that his school is better than her new school....we'll see how quickly this little competition escalates! Wasn't too worried here, but....all is great.


Jonathan...grade 10...couldn't wait for the first day of school...he was just glad to be with friends again...old and new.
He'd already spent a week in football training and was excited about everything including a week of tryouts. As his locker had not yet been assigned, I took him his football gear after school. He'd had a great day...had "Pizza Gallery" for lunch ( huge on his list of what makes a first day of school great)...all was great!


I went home to prepare a celebratory dinner...tacos...I was just sighing my relief as I finished catching up on every one's first day...when Jonathan walked in the door. An hour or more early....something was not right here....

Then he showed me his wrist. Immovable and swollen....my heart sank.
I know how much he enjoyed football last season, he seemed to be doing well in the practices last week...now an injury. Maybe it was just the emotion of the day, but I seem to be the only one really REALLY upset about this. I wanted to cry for him, not because he was in pain, (because as long as he didn't move it), he was doing pretty good...just for what this could mean for his season.


So, I sit here typing and praying for a miracle, while my eldest....the one I was least worried about for today...sits in emerge with his dad...I am not sure when I will know what is happening as it has not yet been 6 hrs of waiting, and this is Ontario Emergency we are talking about....(no complaints though...)


Please say a prayer for my "Not so little man", and those of you who are also ending your back-to-school day....I hope it was WONDERFUL....and UNEVENTFUL!!!!!

3 comments:

Shari said...

Thanks for the tea time - I really enjoyed connecting with the ladies and of course the food was wonderful as usual.

Poor Jonathan and on the first day of school. I waiting at the hospital last night for almost 6 hours before heading home...it's a very busy spot!
Hopefully Mark was armed with a coffee during his wait tonight!

Roxanne said...

I really enjoyed your 'tea party' today. What a great idea for the first day of school.

Amy said...

I was sad to have missed the party...Aliah had her first shots, Hannah goes to school in the P.m, and well, the morning was VERY eventful...read my blog in the next few days to see why....
Hopefully I'll be there next year!!