Sunday, July 29, 2007
Jonathan is 15 today!!!!
He had to work this morning, so dad took him for a birthday breakfast at 5:30, so Jonathan could get to work for 6:30....I slept!
Don't worry Jon, I will make lots of food for you and your friends to party with tonight!
We are very proud of this "Gentle Giant". Jonathan was 9 lbs 1 oz at birth. By Christmas, (5 mo. old) we were buying 18 mo. size clothes....and he has kept up the pace ever since!
Today, he stands 6' 5", and has never "spurted" like the other teenage boys....If he does decide to take a growth leap....this mom's shopping expeditions will become very challenging.
I had the privilege of watching Jonathan in action this past week at VBS...we were both leading groups of kids, and 'Chippy' was quite a hit. So much so, that I think working at the golf course this weekend was a break for Jonathan. He did a great job, and kept a smile even when he'd had enough of the little folks.
Today, we celebrate all that God has created in Jonathan. His love for life, laughter and Jesus. His sense of humor, his maturity and respect for others. His leadership gifts, his ability to honor us as parents as well as the others that God has placed as leaders, bosses and teachers in his life.
The example he is to his younger siblings and his peers.
His confidence in who God has made him to be....not really sure where he gets all that confidence, I wish I'd had half of what he has at his age!
Even his love for the 'Leafs', basketball, football, Mega Man, Indianna Jones and Transformers!
Thanks for being all that you are to Glorify God and bring honor to us as your parents. We love you LOADS!
Some of Jonathan's favorite things:
Friday, July 20, 2007
Wednesday, July 18, 2007
I'll catch up more on Friday....I hope!
1. WERE YOU NAMED AFTER ANYONE? Kind of my sister...my mother thought she looked so much like a "Janice"(my given name), that if she had another daughter that looked like her at birth, she would call her Janice....only problem is our looks changed dramatically after infancy....though some say we look alike again now!
2. WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU CRIED? Actually, watching some make over show on my flight home yesterday...I know, SAPPY
3. DO YOU LIKE YOUR HANDWRITING? I think it looks like a child's...though I bought a special momento of our time in West Palm Beach, a blown glass fountain pen that was made in Italy...it is to inspire me to write, Maybe my handwriting will be beautiful when I use this pen!
4. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE LUNCH MEAT? Smoked Turkey
5. DO YOU HAVE KIDS? Yes, 4...2 boys then 2 girls
6. IF YOU WERE ANOTHER PERSON WOULD YOU BE FRIENDS WITH YOU? I hope so!!!
7. DO YOU USE SARCASM A LOT? More than I should, I think.
8. DO YOU STILL HAVE YOUR TONSILS? yes
9. WOULD YOU BUNGEE JUMP? No way!!!
10. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE CEREAL? Captain Crunch....though I only ever eat ALL Bran....too grown up!
11. DO YOU UNTIE YOUR SHOES WHEN YOU TAKE THEM OFF? Usually wear ballet flats or heels
12. DO YOU THINK YOU ARE STRONG? Quite strong physically....very strong inside.
13. WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE ICE CREAM? Really don't care much for ice cream
14. WHAT IS THE FIRST THING YOU NOTICE ABOUT PEOPLE? Their face...try to read who they are.
15. RED OR PINK? FOREVER PRETTY PINK!!!!
16. WHAT IS THE LEAST FAVORITE THING ABOUT YOURSELF? Sometimes I think I am not as kind as I ought to be
17. WHO DO YOU MISS THE MOST? My Mommy...
18. DO YOU WANT EVERYONE TO SEND THIS BACK TO YOU? Sure
19. WHAT COLOR PANTS AND SHOES ARE YOU WEARING? Bare foot in a denim dress
20. WHAT WAS THE LAST THING YOU ATE? Turkey, then green tea
21. WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW? air conditioner and dishwasher
22. IF YOU WHERE A CRAYON, WHAT COLOUR WOULD YOU BE? Pink
23. FAVORITE SMELLS? The ocean, cinnamon, aftershave...babies
24. WHO WAS THE LAST PERSON YOU TALKED TO ON THE PHONE? My daughters as we traveled home yesterday.
25. DO YOU LIKE THE PERSON WHO SENT THIS TO YOU? I never met the "Dolla" who requested I do this....but I really like her! (see Deborah's Encouragement in my blogger friends)26. FAVORITE SPORTS TO WATCH? Baseball...one of the few I get. Haven't watched in years, but we are being blessed with box seats for all six of us at a Blue Jays game on Sat....I am learning to like football, thanks to my teenaged son's participation....really don't get that game
27. HAIR COLOR? Dark Blond
28. EYE COLOR? Green
29. DO YOU WEAR CONTACTS? No
30. FAVORITE FOOD? Chocolate...and Cheesecake...put the two together, and I am in heaven!!!!
31. SCARY MOVIES OR HAPPY ENDINGS? Always Happy Endings!
32. LAST MOVIE YOU WATCHED? Some western with Hubby in Florida
33. WHAT COLOR SHIRT ARE YOU WEARING? White tank under denim dress
34. SUMMER OR WINTER? Summer!!!
35. HUGS OR KISSES? Depends on whose delivering them!
37. MOST LIKELY TO RESPOND? HMMMM....
38. LEAST LIKELY TO RESPOND? HMMM...
39. WHAT BOOK ARE YOU READING NOW? Jane Austin, never read her novels growing up and I found a book that included all of her works, I have one left to read.
40. WHAT IS ON YOUR MOUSE PAD? Hubby's company mouse pad....with the addition of a daughter's practicing printing all the family names
41. WHAT DID YOU WATCH ON T.V. LAST NIGHT? No TV access
42. FAVORITE SOUND? "I love you" from one of my sweeties
43. ROLLING STONES OR BEATLES? Never really listened to either
44. WHAT IS THE FARTHEST YOU HAVE BEEN FROM HOME? Figi
45. DO YOU HAVE A SPECIAL TALENT? Tea Appreciation....; )
46.WHERE WERE YOU BORN? Nova Scotia, Canada
47. WHAT SUPERPOWER WOULD YOU LIKE? Today? Speed....so much to get done, after vacation
48. FAVORITE HOBBY? Reading
49. A FRIEND THAT YOU WISH YOU COULD HANG OUT MORE WITH? Jen from Minnesota
50. IF YOU COULD BE ANYWHERE RIGHT NOW, WHERE WOULD YOU LIKE TO BE? Back on West Palm Beach Island....so beautiful and peaceful....especially on the beach at dusk....AHHHHH...
Sunday, July 8, 2007
It was an interesting weekend consisting of a multitude of introductions....most of us had not seen one another since we were in our teens.
I hope to have pictures of the entire gang to post later, but for now, here is a taste...
This is a family shot of my dad,(crouched in the middle) my brother, (blue shirt in middle) my sister, (second from right) and our families.
So many people taking pictures all weekend, some of the kids had pretty much had it!
Next, is a picture of my 2 Aunt May's. (Aunt May in the stripes was our hostess, she smiled like this all weekend....sometimes she had a tear, she LOVED having everyone together at her home. She is such a sweety!)
My Aunts and Uncles distinguish between the 2 as 'Sister May' and 'May'. Not too confusing right? Try this out...
In my dad's generation there are 8 living siblings, most with a spouse. Out of the possible 16 people I have: 2 Aunt May's and 2 Aunt Debbies...
So we have May, Debbie, sister May and sister Debbie....there are 2 Georges now as well, but neither are brothers, so....you just hope for the best! There are also three brother's in the family: Rex, Ben and Ben.
In Dad's generation they are usually distinguished as Ben and Warrick. To the mainland Newfies they are Ben and Bent (Bentley)...every now and then, a sister will introduce them as "my brother Ben and my other brother Ben".
The family name is Patey. Which is actually a very common name in Newfoundland. So, one of the Patey sister's married a Patey as well.
We won't get into the numerous other duplicate names due to the multiplication of the family!
This is my Uncle Ben (vs. my Father Ben), and my Aunt Karen. It seems cake and sibling pranks go hand in hand...or is it body to body...well beyond the childhood years!
Tuesday, July 3, 2007
for all that you do, but more importantly, for all that you ARE!!!!
Monday, July 2, 2007
The following is an email that went out from Faytene Kryskow who is an incredible young woman of God who is getting involved in change for our country. Change that would see righteousness and morality restored to our great land. What I love about Faytene's ministry, is the level of honor and integrity that she brings as a Christian to our Governing leaders. There is HUGE fruit in her ministry already, and this, (I believe), is an example of the effects of praying Canadians. Pray for Faytene and her ministry, pray for our nation and as you read this give Him GLORY!!!!!!
TENS OF THOUSANDS OF CANADIANS DECLARE 'GOD'S NOT DEAD' ON PARLIAMENT HILL TONIGHT!
We could not let the day pass without sending you an E-mail to say HAPPY CANADA DAY from the Peace Tower!!! Tamara (one of our Ottawa team) and myself just returned from Parliament Hill where tens of thousands of people gathered to celebrate Canada's 140th birth day as a confederated nation (1867-2007). This was our first Canada Day in Ottawa so we did not quite know what to expect...
... We arrived around 8pm and soon found ourselves listening to a performance by Gregory Charles. He took the entire crowd into a groovy southern gospel rift and began to sing the melody, "God's not dead, He's alive, God's not dead, He's alive...." T amara and I could hardly believe our ears! The entire crowd began to sing. He then began to sing, "God is in the building, the Holy Ghost is moving..."
I find it amazing that exactly 40 yrs since 1967, the year when secular humanism was trumpeted at Expo 67 (i.e. God is dead.), that on our 140th birthday as a confederated nation TENS OF THOUSANDS of Canadians on Parliament Hill were declaring, "God's not dead, He's Alive, God is in the building and the Holy Ghost is moving" right in front of the Peace Tower! After this he lead us in a song, "We got to live together..." an awesome declaration of unity (Jn 17) in Canada. So cool. At the end of it all the crowd roared in what was likely the loudest cheer of the night!!
We would say, this is a great Canada Day.