Sunday, July 8, 2007

Patey's, Patey's and MORE Patey's...

So, here are a few shots of my weekend adventure with the Patey side of my family.


It was an interesting weekend consisting of a multitude of introductions....most of us had not seen one another since we were in our teens.

I hope to have pictures of the entire gang to post later, but for now, here is a taste...

This is a family shot of my dad,(crouched in the middle) my brother, (blue shirt in middle) my sister, (second from right) and our families.
So many people taking pictures all weekend, some of the kids had pretty much had it!

Next, is a picture of my 2 Aunt May's. (Aunt May in the stripes was our hostess, she smiled like this all weekend....sometimes she had a tear, she LOVED having everyone together at her home. She is such a sweety!)

My Aunts and Uncles distinguish between the 2 as 'Sister May' and 'May'. Not too confusing right? Try this out...

In my dad's generation there are 8 living siblings, most with a spouse. Out of the possible 16 people I have: 2 Aunt May's and 2 Aunt Debbies...

So we have May, Debbie, sister May and sister Debbie....there are 2 Georges now as well, but neither are brothers, so....you just hope for the best! There are also three brother's in the family: Rex, Ben and Ben.

In Dad's generation they are usually distinguished as Ben and Warrick. To the mainland Newfies they are Ben and Bent (Bentley)...every now and then, a sister will introduce them as "my brother Ben and my other brother Ben".

The family name is Patey. Which is actually a very common name in Newfoundland. So, one of the Patey sister's married a Patey as well.

We won't get into the numerous other duplicate names due to the multiplication of the family!

Only in Newfoundland!

This is my Uncle Ben (vs. my Father Ben), and my Aunt Karen. It seems cake and sibling pranks go hand in hand...or is it body to body...well beyond the childhood years!













Here is a picture of what happens when you marry a Chinese man into a family of Newfoundlanders...
the chopsticks get huge and are cut straight from the nearest tree!
This is my uncle Jack, Aunt Karen's husband...he's cooking collard greens for 80+ over an open fire.
Last picture...
The guest of honor was my Aunt May (in the solid red top above).....
The second guest, of honor was this guy....once roasted and served, he was a very popular pig!
It was quite a weekend.
The kids loved the fireworks, camp fires, and playing hide and go seek in the dark with all of the newly discovered cousins.
We celebrated both of my Aunt May's birthday's, Uncle Ben and Aunt May's anniversary, My sister's 40'th birthday AND my son Michael's birthday...he's 11 today (Happy Birthday little man! We love you!)
Mark and I are tired, and can't wait to get things in order so we can get on our flight to Florida and relax....Just the 2 of us...
See you in a week!

5 comments:

Shari said...

How were your Aunt's homemade baked beans....did everyone survive the after effects?!

Jen said...

Shari,
Saturday night's meal was: BBQ pork, rice & beans, VERY garlicy Collard Greens, corn bread, Aunt May's baked beans...AND almost every man, (and many women), had a beer in their hand all eve....

Thankfully the weather held for everyone to stay outside!

Amy said...

Sounds like a blast!!

Have an awesome time on vacation!!

Vicki said...

Jen ... glad you are having fun, but I'm sorry you missed the Geoff Moore concert at Desert Stream on Sunday night. It was excellent from beginning to end, but the part that struck me the most was when he talked about ADOPTING HIS TWO DAUGHTERS FROM CHINA. Absolutely precious story! Wish you had been there to hear it! I know you would have loved it and could have spoken to him about it! I kept thinking of you while he was talking!

Vicki

Anonymous said...

Sounds like fun!

Have a great time on your vacation. Its going to be 35-40 degrees here all week, But no humidity.