Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Chicken Enchiladas



I know, on first glance, you are thinking..." what in the world?!??!?! I am NOT making that let alone eating it!'

This is just one of those times where you are going to have to do a wee bit of self talk, "Has Jen EVER posted a recipe that was lacking in flavor? Has she led me astray even slightly when it comes to taste?"

Believe me, these babies are incredible....I served them to 10 people the very first time I made them. Six of which were kids....there was not one unhappy tastebud in the bunch. In my world, if a main course passes the multiple kid test....it is worth repeating.

I served them with Fresh Pico for which I will post the recipe following this one. It's simple, fresh very healthy and Divine.
In my family of 6, only one child and myself like fresh tomatoes...ALL of my family loves this stuff and eats it by the cup full.



Ingredients
  • 2-½ cups Cooked, Shredded Chicken
  • 2 cups Reserved Broth From Chicken
  • 1 Tablespoons Canola Oil
  • 12 Tortillas (I like to use Spinach tortillas...my theory, "If it's green, it's gotta have some nutritional value")
  • 1 Bell Pepper Chopped
  • 1 whole Large Onion, Diced
  • 1/2 Jalapeno, Seeded And Finely Diced
  • 1 teaspoon Paprika
  • ½ cups Heavy Cream
  • 2 Tablespoons Butter
  • 2 Tablespoons Flour
  • 1 cup Sour Cream
  • 2-½ cups Monterey Jack Cheese, Grated (or Mozzarella)
  • Salt And Pepper, to taste
  • Cilantro, Chopped

Preparation Instructions

Heat 1 tablespoon canola oil in skillet over medium heat. Add onions, peppers and jalapenos and saute for 1 minute, just to start the cooking process. Add chicken, , and 1/2 teaspoon paprika. Stir together. Add 1/2 cup chicken broth and stir. Add cream and stir, allowing mixture to bubble and get hot. Turn off heat and set aside.

In a separate large skillet, melt butter and sprinkle in flour. Whisk together and cook over medium heat for one minute. Pour in 1 1/2 cups chicken broth. Whisk together and cook for another minute or two. Reduce heat, then stir in sour cream. Add 1 1/2 cups grated cheese and stir to melt. Add 1/2 teaspoon paprika. Check seasoning and add salt and pepper as needed.

To assemble, spoon chicken mixture on top of tortillas, one by one. Top with plenty of cheese and roll up. Place seam side down in a 9 x 13 casserole dish.

Pour cheese mixture all over the top of the tortillas. Top with extra cheese if you’d like, then bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Sprinkle generously with chopped cilantro.

Serve with Pico de Gallo and Sour Cream


No comments: