Sunday, July 18, 2010

Marvelous Monkey Bread



Since I promised this recipe ages ago....I figured I'd better come good on my word.
This recipe comes with warnings...gazing at the photos for more than 45 seconds or simply reading through the recipe may cause unexpected weight gain. Mind you, if there is ever a recipe worth every single sinful calorie...this has got to be it. Do your taste-buds a favor and make this...just once...when hungry, skinny children or teens are around. Beware though, once will lead those hungry, skinny kids to beg for
more.

In Belleville, we have a wonderful store that sells a multitude of yummy baked goods and frozen foods....at wonderful prices too. This bag originally held three of these loaves of bread dough.
Use any frozen or fresh white bread dough...frozen buns (if you can find them), would involve less cutting.
I usually use 1 1/2 loaves per pan...and usually do it for sleepover parties, so I make 2 pans of Monkey Bread with this pkg.


Partially thaw the dough and cut into 1/2" cubes...approx.
(If you end up completely thawing the dough, just tear it off in small pieces and roll in to ballish type shapes~~any little helping hands are great to put to work on this task)

For each pan you will need approx. 1 c. white sugar and ....maybe 4 Tlbs. of Cinnamon.
(it's an art not a science...so add the cinnamon until
it looks right)
Since Michael is my child who begs for Monkey Bread the most, these are his hands cutting and mixing the dough.
After all the dough is coated, shake off excess sugar mixture and toss evenly in a greased bunt or angel food pan.


Just breathe through the next part, follow the directions and trust me.

Melt 1 cup of butter per pan of monkey bread..

Add 1/2 cup of brown sugar, (yes that measuring cup does say 1 c.~ I was doubling the recipe here)
Stir over med. heat until the butter and brown sugar become one.
Then pour evenly over the balls of dough.

Hey...don't say I didn't warn you.

Bake in preheated, 350* oven for 30-35 minutes.
Invert on large plate and serve warm.

After one bite, I guarantee you won't know whether to love or hate me.
Yes, they are that good.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mmmm..........sugar, butter and cinnamon, and WHEAT!!!